Monday, November 3, 2008

Man-Crush of the Week: Mains

When I looked over the Georgia Tech football schedule this summer, I was not really impressed with our home slate. But I did see Florida State and thought that would be a great game, especially if one of my favorite persons would make the drive to Atlanta with me. Dave was raised a Seminole in Tallahassee and even tried out for the football team at FSU. His wife, Candi, is awesome and his son, Walker, is one of my buddies, so I am a fan of the Mains household.

We had a great time. Tailgate was fun, Dave even bought a Tech shirt because he was paranoid about being "that guy". No decent person wants to be a guest and be a jerk at the same time. It was a close and exciting game that was not decided until Seminole fullback Marcus Sim's fumble on the Tech goal line with 45 seconds left was recovered by the Jackets to preserve a 3 point victory.

Dave's this week's crush. One of the most dependable and nicest guys you'll ever meet. Great football coach and wrestling coach (though retired from wrestling) and a superb math teacher (Apple Valley teacher of the year a few years ago). Two words for Mains: "Go Jackets!"

The bad: When I committed to this weekend, I didn't check my calendar. I double booked on top of the wedding of my dear friends Jeff and Anna Plack and also missed the State Cross Country meet for the first time in 6 years. The Lady Knights finished 4th in the state despite not having their best day of racing.

No comments: