Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night Blogging- Pt 2 [Faith and Politics]

The election is nearly over. As a social studies teacher and a citizen of the United States, I love the democratic process. As a objective observer, I am frustrated by the partisanship and negativity of the campaigns.

Call me an optimist, but I believe we will be fine. Despite the economy, the war on terrorism, environmental and energy issues and the election of a new president, I don't believe the things that make us great will change. We might struggle-- gut check, as we call it in my wrestling room. But we will survive.

I hear all these doomsday scenarios where if we elect "so and so" or "this candidate" that the United States will be over or we'll be screwed. Or that our religion is at risk if we elect a certain candidate or if we don't elect a certain candidate. If that's true, then we deserve to come unraveled. If the Constitution that is the foundation of our democracy is so unsteady or our faith so small that the simple election of a man in 2008 is enough to ruin it all, then it deserves to end.

Trust me guys, have faith.


Have faith in the Constitution. If the American people elect Barack Obama (as currently it looks at 9:57pm), increases the Democratic majority in the House and secures a filibuster-proof 60 seats for the Democrats in the Senate, it is because the Constitution and the democratic process works. The people of the United States are exercising their option for change. If the Democratic party does not take the nation in the direction that is best for America, then the American people will again exercise their option for change-- just as they did in this election.
Have faith in faith. Living where I live, the common belief is that Democrats are godless and a liberal government will compromise our ability to practice our religion. If that happens, again, it's well deserved. I am reminded of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who said to King Nebuchadnezzar, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us". I happen to believe that God is bigger than the President of the United States, even if the President is Barack Obama, the sarcastically christened Messiah.

Just as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego believed their god was bigger than Nebuchnezzar, I believe that the God I believe in and worship is bigger than me and you. God was bigger than Ferdinand and Isabella during the Spanish Inquisition, Hilter in Nazi Germany, Stalin in the Soviet Union and modern China's communist regime. Is our faith that small; is our god that inadequate? The God that made the universe can take care of himself. Stop trying to save and rescue God, when you are already saved and rescued by God.

2 comments:

S-Organic said...

I don't really understand why people are scared? Why can't people see God in Obama? He is hopeful and has the ability to unite us all which we greatly need. I try to be open minded but really am having a hard time comprehending why people are so against him.

InkMom said...

Nicely said . . . and I agree wholeheartedly. This election has been a real eye-opener for me for many reasons, but mostly because of the vast number of people that pony up for one candidate or another, but don't really know anything about their platform. It's difficult to engage in intelligent, interesting debate about important issues when everyone takes everything political so personally, and at the same time, is unwilling to do the requisite research that would validate their chosen candidate's claims. Sorry to rant . . . I guess I needed an outlet!

Love the blog!