Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Observations - Nov 30

Today is the last day of November. Here are my observations this Sunday:

1) Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I have a lot to be thankful for.

2) This story made me sad. What have we come to?

3) To each their own, but two things you will not find me doing: 1) Getting up at 2:00 in the morning to stand in line for sales on Black Friday and 2) Getting up at 2:00 in the morning to go into the woods and sit in a tree.

4) Georgia Tech broke their 7 year losing streak to rival Georgia yesterday. What a great victory for the White and Gold. The Triple Option is back. Georgia had two weeks to prepare and still gave up 409 yards on the ground.

5) Speaking of rivalries and since this was rivalry week in college football, here are my favorite rivalry games:
- Army-Navy: No BCS implications, but I do love the tradition and gallantry of this game. And try telling anyone from West Point or Annapolis that this game doesn't matter...
- Oklahoma-Texas: Neutral site every year (Cotton Bowl during Texas State Fair), cool name (Red River Shootout) and long tradition make this a great rivalry.
- Georgia Tech-Georgia: To Hell With Georgia!
- Michigan-Ohio State: Another great interstate rivalry. Unfortunately for the Wolverines, this one has recently been dominated by the Buckeyes.
- Harvard-Yale: Again, not a game with National Championship implications, but it's a big game for these two storied universities and, dating to 1875, the oldest rivalry in college football.

6) I slept through church today. It was the second week in a row. Wrestling season takes a physical toll on me. It's pretty exhausting. Last Saturday, I was up at 3:30, our bus left at 5:00 to be in Boone by 7:30 for weigh-ins. Tournament over about 8:30 and we were home around 11:30. Yesterday, I was up at 5:44, to the school a little before 7:00 to get ready for the North Knight Invitation that we host every year. The tournament ran smooth because there were lots of amazing people who helped, but I'm not sure I sat more than 15 minutes total the entire day. After closing up, home around 11:00.

7) Speaking of which, I would be remiss if I did not mention all the people who helped make the tournament run so well. I get lots of compliments on how well things run, but I'm not sure people notice all the great help that's around me:

John Williams threw together the JV tournament with no practice; Jason Joyce running the computer; Ivy Ducker put together the best hospitality room around (no joke, that's from other coaches and officials); David and Linda Bradley running the concession stand; former wrestlers like Mikey, Larry and Wayn-O coming back to help; former scorekeeper Stacey filling out the wall charts; current team members helping at tables running a clock or scoring; various parents asking where they can be of assistance. Once again, I am full of thanks.

Man-Crush of the Week:
Paul Johnson, Head Football Coach, Georgia Institute of Technology. He's converted me. I wasn't sure of his ability to win or be the right guy for the job, but the man can coach. And I think I am in love. He did something Chan Gailey (another coach I have tremendous respect for) never did in seven years: beat Georgia. Gailey's 0-7 record against their rival probably sealed his fate more than anything.

Tech this year looks well coached, makes good adjustments and is the youngest team in the ACC. The losses were not a product of the system or the coaching, it was GT shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers. The Triple Option has yielded success against good defenses and there is still more to be revealed. The future looks bright and Coach Johnson is leading the Jackets there.

No comments: