Yesterday was a day of upsets: The number 1, 3 and 4 teams in the AP Poll (1, 2, 3 in Coach's Poll) all lost. Alabama, number 2 in AP and number 4 in Coach's, was idle. If I had a vote, this would be my Top 10:
1. Penn State (7-0) - Played well in every game and went to Camp Randall and hammered a good Wisconsin team in a tough place to win, much less put up 48 points.
2. Texas (6-0) - Upset #1 Oklahoma in the Red River Shootout. Big game next week versus Missouri.
3. Alabama (6-0) - Call it the "Clemson Factor". Clemson win not looking as impressive, since the Tigers may be the most underachieving team in the nation. If Clemson played more respectable, Alabama might get my #1 vote.
4. Oklahoma (5-1) - Stays high in rankings because they lost to a good team in a good game. Still in national title hunt.
5. Florida (5-1) - That was a thorough dismantling of a good LSU team. I thought LSU had the best defensive line in the nation? It didn't show last night.
6. Oklahoma State (6-0) - Kudos for beating last week's 3rd ranked team on the road. They may not survive their schedule, but they are a top 10 team this week.
7. USC (4-1) - Still hanging around. They will be in the national title picture all year, especially since the SEC and Big 12 teams will beat each other up.
8. Georgia (5-1) - Loss to Alabama is not a deal breaker. Controls their own destiny in SEC.
9. Texas Tech (6-0) - No real quality wins yet. We'll know more about this team over the next few weeks. Beginning Oct 25, they play top 20 teams Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in a row. Whew!
10. Missouri (5-1) - Could be worse than losing to a top 10 team. But still have to win those home games.