Monday, October 27, 2008

Mike's Tirade


I love Mike Singletary. I don't know if he's going to be a great NFL coach in San Fransisco or anywhere else. I just know that he has passion. He wants players to play for the TEAM, not themselves and he wants them to play as hard as he did when he was a linebacker for the Chicago Bears.

I remember watching Singletary's last game as a Bear and NFLer. It was 1992 and I was 14 years old. He was a sure Hall of Famer. The game was all but over and I don't remember who won. But I do remember Singletary getting the call to go back into the game. He thought he had played his last down and his career was over. His eyes got really big. I saw a player who loved the game of football and, at that moment, to get another chance to play the game he loved one more time excited him as much as ever before. Nothing he did when he went back into the game changed his legendary status for better or worse. But those eyes... man, those eyes said everything about his passion for what he did.

I'll never forget those eyes.
We need more Mike Singletarys.

No comments: