Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it...

... and I feel fine.


Last night, a few of us gathered around the campfire, cooked hobos, made smores and enjoyed one another's company. Lindsay made the comment that despite all the bad things going on around (gas crisis in Asheville, Wall St bailout, subprime fiascos, Iran's rhetoric and so forth), she had a remarkable week.

That was such a reassuring statement, because I know that our country has major issues and I know that individuals struggle on a daily basis. There was a point last week where I was feeling bad because it seemed in the middle of all this turmoil, I was clicking on all cylinders and having a fantastic week. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one, because the evening news made it seem like I was.

My students and classes were fabulous last week. They worked hard all week and took a test on Friday that either: they all cheated on, I really covered well, or they actually studied for since each class scored very well (and my tests are not easy). So, I had a terrific week of work. In addition to a terrific bunch of students and a terrific week of work, I also got to experience a bunch of great times with friends:

-Monday, I got to go to Laura's for a fall/end of summer hangout with a bunch of great people.
-Tuesday, Mike and I took a 20 mile road bike ride and then went to Two Guys Pizza where he interviewed me for a class and we ate fantastic pizza.
-Wednesday, I got to hang out with Dave and Sturgill and we rocked some Guitar Hero to relieve the grind of teaching and coaching.
-Thursday I attended the North-West volleyball game and, even though we lost, I saw Jan Stanley set the state record for career wins by a coach.
-Friday visited with Slim and DK (a week early)
-Saturday I hung drywall with my hero Jeff Smith and then sat around the campfire with great friends.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed. Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.
(I feel fine)

No comments: