Thursday, July 24, 2008

Finishing the Race

The Olympics are coming! Opening ceremonies are August 8. I am a huge Olympics fan. I like the ideals of the Games (even if we've strayed some), the competition among nations and the amazing displays of athleticism.

Barcelona 1992, British 400m runner Derek Redmond is one of my favorite Olympics moments. Technically, he's going to be disqualified because track and field rules state that an athlete may not be assisted during a race. But this moment is not about technicalities. It's about the human spirit. It's one of those things that continues to move me, over and over again, no matter how often I see it.

As a Christian, I can't help but see the parallels between Derek's father and God, my Father. When I am fallen and broken, He is there. I cannot finish on my own, nor is there a need for me to. Sometimes, I will fall, but I am never alone. He will push his way pass the security and the marshalls by the track just to be by my side. He will tell the official guy in white to go away, "This is my son and we are going to finish." And when I cannot walk, He will carry me.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me... For when I am weak, then I am strong
II Corinthians 12:9-10

1 comment:

Mestlers said...

Awesome! Too true...thank God that he is always with us and often carries us through.