Friday, August 15, 2008

I Wish I Could...

...speak better conversation Chinese.

I wandered down to Chinatown today in search of Dim Sum. Inevitably, people always try to talk to me in Chinese. One of the regrets I have growing up is that I did not do a better job of practicing and keeping my native languages. My Cambodian is non-existent and my Chinese is broken and I know no Mandarin or Cantonese.

On the bright side, the Dim Sum was terrific (even if I had to point to what I wanted).

Also, I blogged earlier how the Canadians were more laid back than Americans. I do have to say, however, that the Canadian press and the Canadians in the hostel are up in arms over the fact that Canada has yet to win a single Olympic medal through a week of competition. I think that the pragmatic Canadian realizes that their medal collection is going to come in Winter Olympics (curling, anyone?), but for a wealthy country of 35 million to not score a single medal is somewhat embarrassing. Come on, Togo, Mongolia and Tajikistan have more medals than Canada.

1 comment:

Emily Bradford Routon said...

I am mad at you about that too! WHY did you let that go??? I actually yelled a 13 year old s Chinese Canadians on my trip who wasn't learning Mandrian from his father! Hopefully now after our talk he will decide that it is something he wants to know! :)