Sunday, June 21, 2015

Great Divide Packing List

Here is the gear list that I'm at least starting with for the Great Divide. Everyone is a little different. I'm definitely not minimalist; if I am going to be gone for over a month, I want to be at least a little comfortable. Plus, I'm not racing. But the packing list is a bit different and pared down from the first time I did a a major bike trip. I bought some new stuff (solar charger, for example), but most of my stuff from the past carried over well for this trip. I looked for gear that is durable and dependable. Weight is important, but volume is more important when space is a premium as it is on this ride. My goals with my gear is protection from the elements and not get stranded and hopefully I did a good enough job preparing and planning.

 All my gear laid out


The bike and on the bike:
Surly ECR (named her "Hulk")
Surly Nice Rear rack w/ 2 Orlieb Panniers
2 Salsa Anything Cage HD with Sea to Summit 5L Drybags
Revelate Designs Sweetroll (carries tent on handlebars)
2 Revelate Designs Feedbags
Rockgeist Custom top tube bag
Garmin 510 GPS Unit
Planet Bike Protege 9.0 cycle computer
Niterider MiNewt 250 front light
Knog Blinder Cross rear light


Putting Hulk together after she arrived


Camping Equipment:
REI Quarterdome T2 Tent
REI Quarterdome T2 footprint
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 30 down sleeping bag
Big Agnes Air Core 70x25x2.5 sleeping mattress
Sea to Summit Aeros pillow (small)
Snowpeak Giga Stove
GSI Pinnacle soloist cookset
Camp Towels, one small, one medium
Petzl Headlamp
Pur Hiker Waterfilter
50 ft rope

Clothes:
2 cycling shorts
2 jerseys
1 wool midlayer
Novara Rainjacket
North Face Hyvent Rain pants
Novara tights
Patagonia Nano Puff Down Jacket
1 Off Bike Shorts
2 T-shirts (Wool!)
2 Ex Officio Underwear
2 pairs Smartwool socks
Pearl Izumi bike shoes
Teva sandals
Pearl Izumi arm sun sleeves
Mountain Hardwear beanie
Buff UV headband/neck gaiter
Sunday Afternoons Sun Hat
Cycling Gloves
Softshell Gloves
Bandana
Prescription glasses
Adidas Tycane Sunglasses

Electronics:
Microsoft Surface 3
Canon Powershot 90
JVC GC-X1A Action Camera (thanks Dr Clay Sanders)
iphone 6
Goal Zero Switch 10 multitool Solar kit
REI Travel mini surge protector
mini tripod

Other:
Adventure Cycling Great Divide map set (7 maps)
Sea to Summit 3/8"x40" accessories strap
Redpoint Velcro Accessories Strap
3 Waterbottles
Coffee mug
Knog Milkman retractable lock
MSR Dromedary water bag (to carry extra water in the Great Divide Basin)
Journal
29er Tube
mini pump
Crank Bros M19 Multitool
Duct Tape
Electric Tape
SOG pocket knife
Leatherman Style PS Multitool
Zipties
Ziploc bags
Replacement hooks for panniers
Tire levers
First Aid kit
Bug Spray
Bear Spray (will purchase in Banff)

Tag along:
Baron

Note: this list does not include personal hygiene items and food.



1 comment:

Burnsey said...

Those Jones Loop bars are the best. I have them on my daily/touring bike. I use some cam straps from New River Supply to hold my tent bag to the bars. Used those straps to hold kayaks to my roof rack, and they never let me down.