Monday, July 27, 2015

Eats

I was riding along passing time and I thought to myself, I wonder if people wonder what I eat. I'm gonna blog about it.

First of all, I've lost weight. I don't know how much, but one of my riding shorts now fits loose (saying a lot for spandex) and a pair of off bike shorts I brought I can literally remove without unbuttoning. 

In cafes and diners, I'll eat whatever is there and a lot of it. I'm burning a lot of calories each day. But the snacks and provisions I bring when I'm not in a dining establishment is a smorgasbord of random things.

I'm not a nutritionist that is careful about what and how much I take in, especially while bike touring. I'm gonna burn it off anyway. I just need calories. And to feel not hungry. So I take things that are easy.

The staples:
Clif Bars, Granola bars, beef jerky or Slim Jims, Trail Mix, dried fruit.

The Random:
I've been consuming a lot of Combos and I've been craving popcorn, so I might carry a little bag of that. That's stuff I would rarely buy at home, but have made me quite happy on the bike.

Lunch/Dinners:
Tuna packages stuffed in pita or naan. Recently, peanut butter on tortilla. The dehydrated backpackers meals that friends sent were good, but I never bought any because they are hard to come by in small towns.

Breakfast:
In the beginning, I was boiling water and making oatmeal. But then I got lazy because I didn't want to clean. Now I just boil water for coffee and have granola bars or one of those packaged danishes that you find in convenience stores.

I usually also stop at a convenience store or grocery when I arrive at a town if I am not stopping for a meal. It's an excuse to be off the bike, I can refill my bottles and they usually have ice cream. It's hot and after 40 miles ice cream and a coke or root beer just make me feel good. 

No comments: