Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Seasonal

In my refrigerator are two seasonal brews: "Cattail Peak" from Highland Brewing Company and "Skinny Dip" from New Belgium. Cattail Peak is named after a peak off the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Asheville and Skinny Dip, well-- you know. Both are very tasty. A little light, but I guess that's what a summer brew is.

I like beer. It tastes good. Now, I'm not one of those that can taste a beer and tell you where in the world the hops came from, how I like the hint of malt or the oak flavor. I can't taste the complexity of a beer nor could I distinguish the citrus or caramel flavors. I'm not that sophisticated. I just know I like some and I don't like others.

As a rule, I generally don't like beer that I can see straight through. Thanks, but I'll have water. I tend towards porters. I like Yuengling, but I can't stand Heineken. Since drunkenness is never my goal, I would rather spend extra on a nice microbrew than drink several cheap ones (can anyone say Busch?). My favorite local beers: "Wee Heavy-er" from French Broad and "Ninja Porter" from Asheville Pizza and Brewing.

No comments: